Former military airport in Słupsk.
28th Fighter Aviation Regiment. 1952.
The war in Korea resulted in the enormous development of the Polish Military Aviation beyond the capabilities of the war-torn country. It was decided that the airport would be the base of the 28th Fighter Aviation Regiment. The 28th PLM was formed on the basis of the Order of the Ministry of National Defense No. 0096 of December 11, 1951, and the Order of the Commander of the Air Force No. 018 of May 21, 1952, on the basis of the existing 10th Fighter Aviation Division. The deadline for achieving combat readiness was set on November 1, 1952.
On September 15-16, 1952, a group of 10 MiG-15 and MiG-15 UTI planes was ferry from the Bemowo airport to Redzikowo. This group was commanded by Major pil. Vasyl Crimea. The regiment immediately began training on MiG-15 fighter planes and never had Yak-23 fighters in stock. On September 17, 1952, the first rally of the 28th PLM took place, consisting of 62 officers, 142 non-commissioned officers and privates. This day, that is September 17, 1952, was recognized as the establishment date of the 28th PLM in Słupsk, which was so closely connected with the city that after many years it was renamed the 28th Słupski Regiment of Fighter Aviation.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman