Former military airport in Słupsk.
The airport was popularly called Słupsk Airport. But there were two airports near Słupsk. One to the south of the city is the Aeroclub airport, the other to the east is a former military airport and it is the hero of this article. The airport was located in the village of Redzikowo. But for the purposes of this chapter, we will use the name Słupsk Airport.
The history of Słupsk airport.
In 1916, during the World War II, the German army decided to start building an airport near Słupsk (Stolp-West). By the end of World War II, several facilities were built: an airfield, a parking hangar, a repair hangar and several barracks for airport service. The take-off area was 1,200 m long. A KFZ truck repair facility was located in the same building. After the World War, the facility was not liquidated, but lost its military significance due to the partial demilitarization of Germany. The airport was used for training and communication purposes. Officially in 1920, the airport became a non-scheduled air port. Mainly mail was transported on the route from Berlin to Gdańsk and further east.
After Hitler came to power in 1933, the airport regained its military importance. The major expansion of the airport began in 1935. Three new administrative and barracks buildings were built. Probably they were referred to as A, B, C. In the first one was placed the command, in the second - administration, and in the third - barracks. As many as five hangars were built. About 20 new barracks were also built.
So as we can see, the back room was large. But let's not be surprised if we take into account that other airports were also to be planned under the command; in Lubowidz near Lębork and an aquapark in Wicko Morskie. Combat planes began to base their bases at Słupsk Airport. When the German army started the war in 1939, numerous air attacks on infrastructure in Poland were launched from this airport.
In 1945, the airport was taken over by the Soviets. It is not known what units of the Russian army were stationed here, but the Kremlin treated this airport, like many other airports in Poland, as a military prey.
Słupsk airport in the Polish Army. 1950.
From 1949, the State Agricultural Farm functioned in the area of the village of Redzikowo. The communists did not want individual farms in Poland. Everything was to be collectivized. This state farm in 1950 had an area of 886 hectares. But with the establishment of the Polish Military Units at the airport, part of the area was taken over by the Polish Army and PGR in 1952, it was only 386 hectares.
30 PL MW. 1950.
The Russians decided to transfer Słupsk Airport to the Polish side. On the basis of the Order of the Minister of National Defense No. 0235 / Org of November 22, 1949, the 30th Naval Aviation Regiment was established as the Military Unit No. 5576 under the post No. 35/118. The Independent Naval Aviation Squadron became the basis for the creation of the new regiment. The Słupsk Airport was designated as the dislocation site. But we must remember that the Regiment also had the Wicko Morskie Airport at its disposal. The regiment started its operation on March 25, 1950, and its stock was only piston-powered aircraft from military production. These include the Il-2 M3, Yak-9, Pe-2 FT, Tu-2, Po-2.
Bomber and reconnaissance planes were stationed mainly at Słupsk Airport, and fighter planes at Wicko Morskie Airport. The regiment dealt primarily with the training of young pilots and aviators, only preparing for combat tasks. In 1950, the 30th PL MW received a banner funded by the society of the city of Katowice. On May 3, 1951, i.e. after a year in Słupsk, the 30th PL MW was transferred to the Babie Doły Airport.
Continued in the next chapter.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman