Geographic coordinates: 52.451N 20.651E.
History of Modlin Airport.
The first information about the airport in Modlin comes from 1937. East of the Modlin Fortress there was a small training ground. According to the residents' accounts, members of the Air and Anti-Gas Defense League brought soil to this training ground in order to level and harden the area for the planned landing field. Such a large military facility, gathering so many soldiers, needed to secure fast air links with Warsaw and other military garrisons. Certainly, no aviation unit was stationed in Modlin until the attack of the German army, but liaison planes landed here.
Already at the beginning of the German occupation, in 1940, the name Modlin Airport clearly appeared in the documents. The occupant developed engineering and construction assumptions. It marked out the parking places for the planes. It organized a fuel and ammunition depot. In the following years, numerous enemy combat air units, moving to the eastern front and back, passed through the airport.
In January 1945, Modlin was occupied by the troops of the 47th Soviet Army Corps. The airport, at least until 1946, was a Soviet airbase. In March 1945, the Soviets officially handed over the airport to the Polish Aviation Command. Polish hunting and assault regiments were based here temporarily, next to the Soviet ones. It was only at the end of the 40s that the Soviets left Modlin completely. It happened when orders came from the Kremlin about the final dislocation of Soviet units in Poland.
The air force command decided to expand the airport in Modlin. In the period 1949-1953, two large hangars with workshop facilities were built. A modern fuel depot was built. A modern DS (RWY) with a high load capacity was commissioned. A DK system (taxiways) and parking stands for combat aircraft were created. A little later, single covered shelters for aircraft and staff were built.
In 1953, the airport became the stationing site of the 15th Bomber Aviation Division. It was then that the first Ilyushin Il-28 turbojet bombers arrived at the airport. The 15th DLB was stationed in Modlin until 1959.
The period 1956-1960 was the time when many pilots, aviation specialists, staff officers and junior commanders were trained in Modlin and in the barracks and headquarters facilities. The Modlin airport was operated by the Pilot School (WSP), and then, on the basis of the WSP and the Airport Service Battalion, the Air Force Training Center (CSL) was launched. Simultaneously with the CSL, the School Helicopter Regiment operated at the airport, the first unit of this type in Poland.
In June 1958, the 38th PLM (fighter aviation regiment) was disbanded, and on its basis WSP (higher school of pilots) was created in Modlin. Also at that time, the first supersonic MiG-19 fighters arrived in Modlin. On December 3, 1957, 9 brand new MiG-19 P machines landed at the airport. On May 17, 1958, another 10 pieces, and 14 MiG-19 PM aircraft were delivered at the turn of 1958/1959 . Already early in the CCCP, pilots were trained for this type; captain Czesław Kantyka and k captain Zdzisław Mickiewicz. They became instructors at the WSP in Modlin. In April 1960, WSP was reformed as CSL (Aviation Training Centre).
Pilots were also trained in MiG-21 supersonic aircraft in Modlin. The first MiG-21 aircraft was brought to Poland on September 29, 1961, in the strictest confidence. The plane had no markings. This aircraft had a serial number 741217 and received nb 1217. It was placed at the Aviation Training Center in Modlin. The plane was heavily guarded and few people had access to it. Today it is difficult to say how many flights this copy made in the first months of its stay in Poland. One thing is certain that regular training has not yet been conducted on it. Officially, the aircraft was to help train flying and technical personnel. In the winter of 1961/1962, in order for the aircraft to formally meet the flight capability, it had to be flown periodically. For this purpose, a pilot and a technician flew to Modlin from the Soviet 582nd PLM, stationed in Poland in Chojna. The local unit in Chojna had MiG-21 F / F-13 aircraft in stock. Initially, the training of Polish pilots (with difficulties) was carried out at the CCCP in Krasnodar. In the spring of 1962, a group of four instructors from Modlin was sent to Chojna to complete the training and receive appropriate certificates. In the group were; Major Kazimierz Kamiński, Captain Stanisław Radziejowski, Lieutenant Wiesław Komuda, Lieutenant Stanisław Chreptowicz. These pilots in July 1962 began independent flights on MiG-21 F-13 aircraft.
Another 8 MiG-21 aircraft were received by Poland only after a year, in September 1962. Exactly on September 19-21, 1962, MiG-21 F-13 No. was delivered to Modlin; 742007, 742008, 742009, 742015, 742016, 742017, 742018, 742019. These aircraft together with the first machine were used for training at CSL in Modlin.
From 1969 to 1981, one squadron from the 21st Reconnaissance Regiment from Sochaczew was also based at the Modlin airport.
In 1974, the operation of the Aviation Training Center became groundless. Therefore, in February 1974, the CSL was disbanded, and the Modlin airport became the base for the re-established 38th Air Training Regiment, which was a part of the Military Aviation Academy in Dęblin. This happened on the basis of Ordinance No. 16/Org of the Chief of the General Staff of the Polish Armed Forces of February 19, 1974.
In 1975, a new aviation unit called the 45th Aviation Experimental Squadron (LED) was established at the Modlin airport. It was established on the basis of the squadron of the 38th Regiment, with the deadline for implementation by June 1, 1976. Little is known about the 45th LED. One thing is certain that this squadron was involved in, among other things, testing PZL-130 Orlik aircraft with turboprop engines at the turn of the 80s and 90s.
At the end of 1979, a decision was made to reform the regiment into the 38th Air Training and Combat Regiment. Pursuant to the Ordinance No. 064/Org of the Chief of the General Staff of the Polish Armed Forces of December 24, 1979.
Modlin Airport was systematically renovated. Major renovation works were carried out every 4-6 years. In 1987, Modlin Airport underwent a thorough expansion. A new CPPS (central aircraft parking plane) was created. The DS (RWY) was renovated, with the simultaneous preparation for its future extension. During this period, the military had big plans for further expansion of the airport.
By December 31, 1988, the 38th Air Training and Combat Regiment was disbanded. In accordance with Order No. 046/Org of the Chief of General Staff of the Polish Army of July 30, 1988, and Order No. 011/Org of the Air Force Commander of September 6, 1988. Only the 45th Aviation Experimental Squadron remained in Modlin. However, not for long, because in 2000, a decision is made to disband the 45th LED, and the Ministry of National Defense transferred the airport to the resources of the Military Property Agency. The following year, a decision was made to get rid of this airport by the army, while preserving the aviation character of this facility.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman