WLs50-943 diesel locomotive at the Agricultural Museum in Szreniawa.
National Museum of Agriculture and Food Industry in Szreniawa.
Geographic coordinates: 52.315N 16.797E.
WLs40 and WLs50 diesel locomotives are Polish narrow-gauge diesel locomotives with a track gauge of 600 m, which were intended for industry (mining, construction, large industrial plants) and for narrow-gauge access railways. Designation WLs40 means Narrow-gauge diesel locomotive, with a power of 40 HP. A related design was the Ls40 standard-gauge locomotive. The WLs40 locomotive was developed at the FabLok factory in Chrzanów in 1950. The model was the pre-war 1DK diesel locomotive used in mines. The 1DK unit was a locomotive built under a license from Deutz. The WLs40 locomotive uses the Polish S-64L four-cylinder diesel engine with a nominal power of 40 KM, which was produced in Andrychów. A four-speed L8 gearbox was used. The engine was started by an electric starter or a crank.
The production of the WLs40 locomotives was carried out in Warsaw, and then in Poznań. By 1971, 883 locomotives had been built.
The WLs50 locomotive with the 50 HP S324HL engine was also developed. These locomotives were produced between 1958 and 1975. 1090 WLs50 locomotives were built.
Data T-T locomotive WLs40/50:
Axle arrangement B. Service mass 7,000 kg. Length 4.38 m. Width 1.44 m. Height 2.20 m. Wheel diameter 0.55 m. Combustion engine S64L (40 HP) or S324HL (55 HP). Four-speed mechanical transmission. The capacity of the fuel tanks is 136 liters. Design speed 17 km / h.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman