11th Fighter Aviation Regiment in Strachowice. 1968-1999

Published on: 2021-04-23
|
Updated on: 2021-04-23
|
Squadrons
Facebook
Twitter

Strachowice 2008-01-10

11th Fighter Aviation Regiment in Strachowice.

The emblem 11. PLM in Strachowicach. Photo by Karol Placha Hetman
The emblem 11. PLM in Strachowicach. Photo by Karol Placha Hetman

History.

In the second half of the 1960s, Polish Aviation was reorganized. One of the reasons was the desire to return to the names and numbers of the Regiments from the Second World War, so that no one had any doubts about the Russian roots of the Polish People's Aviation. In 1968, as a result, some combat regiments changed their name, others changed the place of their stationing. The 11th PLM stationed in Dębrzno was transformed into the 9th PLM, and the 3rd PLM in Strachowice became the 11th Brandenburg Fighter Aviation Regiment.

In 1970, the 11th PLM granted the right to have a collective patron: "Settlers of the Lower Silesia Region". In 1973, the regiment was restored to its historical distinguishing name and until September 1991, it was officially called: the 11th Brandenburg Fighter Aviation Regiment of the Polish Army. Settlers of the Lower Silesia Region. In August 1979, the regiment was awarded the Commander's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta.

In August 1994, on the basis of a decision of the Ministry of National Defense, the pilot and commander, Colonel Bolesław Orliński, became the patron of the regiment. Colonel Bolesław Orliński made famous about his flight to Japan in 1926. He was a resident of Wrocław and died on February 28, 1992.

In December 1999, the 11th PLM them. Col. pil. Bolesław Orliński was disbanded.

Written by Karol Placha Hetman