The history of the Lim-2 nb 708 aircraft from the City Łask.
Lim-2 aircraft are Polish fighters manufactured at PZL Mielec under the license of a Soviet aircraft type MiG-15 bis. One of the most successful combat aircraft in history.
Since the appearance of the new model in Poland, the possibility of mass production has been considered. The reference copy became the MiG-15 bis No. 1370086. After a year and a half of preparations, the production of MiG-15 bis under the Polish name Lim-2 (licensed fighter) was launched. The first copy with the serial number 1B 01-001 was rolled out of the hall on 17.09.1954, i.e. 17 days after the end of Lim-1 production. Production of Lim-2 lasted until November 23, 1956. In this period, 5 series were built in 20 series (other data give 496). The pace of production was impressive. During the peak period, over 20 machines were built in one month.
The aircraft of interest to us was built in July 1955. He received serial number 1B 07-008. Board number 708 appeared on the hull. The aircraft was delivered to the army in August 1955. There is no confirmed information that the aircraft was immediately delivered to 31 PLM at Łask Airport. Nevertheless, it is very likely. This is confirmed by later information that in 1958, 31 PLM was deprived of modern fighters (Lim-2 was then the most modern fighter in the Polish Army), which was replaced by older machines (MiG-15, Lim-1). So, in 1958, Lim-2 nb 708 was transferred to another regiment. Around 1965, this aircraft returned to the unit stationed at Łask Airport. (The Polish Army already had MiG-19, MiG-21 F-13, Lim-5 planes). In Łask the plane served until the end of the 70s, when after 25 years of service it was removed from the state.
In 1980, the decision was made to set up the aircraft as a monument in the City of Graces. A square was chosen at the intersection of Objazdowa and Warszawska Streets, at the national road DK 14, exit towards Łódź. This aircraft was a symbol of many years of cooperation and coexistence of the Air Unit with the City Łask. It was a gift from the Army for the City Łask. The plane was provided free of charge.
The ceremony of handing over the Lim-2 nb 708 - 1980 aircraft in Łask by the Military Unit as an expression of the army's cooperation with the region. On the hull, date of handing over the monument. 1980 year.
The aircraft was kept in good order for years to come. Systematically washed and repainted several times. During the painting, the side number was changed many times. And so was the number; 2000, 2004.
This was the case until 2008, when based on the Resolution of the City Council of Graces of 12.03.2008, the aircraft was transferred to 32 BLot in exchange for the TS-11 Iskra nb 1230 aircraft, which was also operated in Łask. On July 3, 2008, Lim-2 was removed from the pedestal. On August 22, 2008, the TS-11 Iskra nb 1230 aircraft was set up on a raised plinth.
The Lim-2 nb 708 aircraft returned to Lask Airport. It has been renovated here. A group of enthusiasts associated in the organization Archeo Group took care of it. The actual board number 708 has returned to the aircraft. The aircraft as an exhibit graces the subsequent anniversaries and ceremonies at 32 Tactical Air Base.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman