In 1923, a railway and a tram line were brought to Okęcie. The Okęcie airport began to build in 1924. An area of 456 hectares was purchased for the purpose of the new airport. In 1929, the PZL Engine Factory and Civil Aircraft Repair Workshops were established here. In 1929, several combat squadrons were transferred to Okęcie Airport.
In the period 1933-1934, air traffic was transferred from the Pole Mokotowskie Airport to the Okecie airport. A road from Śródmieście to the Okęcie airport was built then. This is today's Al. Żwirki i Wigury.
From 1933, the Okęcie area became a center of aviation industry, where over 7,500 people worked in the 1930s. It should be remembered that the Okęcie district was still an agricultural area that supplied food to the city.
On April 29, 1934, an airport station was officially opened at Okęcie Airport. Former President Ignacy Mościcki, Prime Minister Janusz Jędrzejewski, Speaker of the Sejm, five ministers, diplomatic corps with US ambassadors, CCCP, Italy, directors of seven European airlines. Holy Mass was celebrated by bishop Józef Gawlina.
Ceremonial opening of the Okęcie Airport. Field Mass celebrated by field bishop Józef Gawlin. In the place of honor President Ignacy Mościcki. April 29, 1934.
Ceremonial opening of the Okęcie Airport. In the place of honor President Ignacy Mościcki. In the first row from the left are from the right: Prime Minister Janusz Jędrzejewicz, Speaker of the Sejm Kazimierz Świtalski, Warsaw Voivode Stanisław Twardo, Interior Minister Bronisław Pieracki, Warsaw Voivode Władysław Jaroszewicz, Treasury Minister Władysław Marian Zawadzki, Minister of Labor and Social Welfare Stefan Hubicki, Minister Communications Michał Butkiewicz, Minister of Posts and Telegraphs Emil Kaliński, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Jan Szembek. On the right are representatives of diplomacy. April 29, 1934.
Modern Okęcie airport. Two stylish buildings between the hangars. In one there was a station, in the other an airport service.
Station waiting room. Please look at the map of Europe and see the network of flights from Warsaw.
Above the area was a 50-meter tower with an airport lantern, visible within a radius of 100 kilometers. This is how navigation problems were solved then. Thanks to this lighthouse, pilots had easier orientation. It functioned in the same way as lighthouses. There were no radar stations at that time.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman