Częstochowa - Rudniki airport.
After the Germanic aggression against Poland in October 1939, part of the land was included in the rally, and part of the General Government, which was to function until the complete liquidation of the Polish nation. The Germans began to build new military facilities, including airports, "on their" territory. One of them was located near Częstochowa. The construction of the airport in Rudniki near Częstochowa began in 1940. Prisoners of war and forced laborers were used for the construction.
It is worth mentioning that the Mierzęcice-Pyrzowice Airport was also established at the same time. However, that airport was much larger than the one near Częstochowa.
In Rudniki, a hard runway with dimensions of 1,000 m x 30 m was marked out, which was put into use in 1942. Hangars, barracks (barracks) and technical facilities were built. A railway siding was built from the railway line (currently No. 146) Częstochowa - Chorzew Siemkowice.
In Rudniki, in November 1942, the Luftkriegschule IX unit was established, and then another Segelfliegerschule der Luftwaffe Tschenstochau. Future aviators were trained here on gliding courses.
In January 1945, the airport played an important role in aviation hostilities. Several Soviet fighter and assault regiments were stationed here.
The date when the Soviets handed over the airport to the Polish Army is unknown. It is known that the Polish Army managed the airport from at least 1953.
Around 1955, the Rudniki airport was expanded. The runway was extended to 2,000 m and widened to 60 m. New taxiways were built. At the eastern taxiway (connector), a 120 m x 50 m Airplane Parking Plane was built. As the airport was treated as a backup (training), no back-up facilities such as brick barracks, workshops and warehouses were built here. Tents, field kitchens, portable baths, etc. were used as social facilities.
In 1953, the Polish Army classified the airport as a backup for the 39th Fighter Regiment stationed in Mierzęcice. Periodically, the 53rd Fighter-Assault Aviation Regiment from Mirosławiec was stationed here with PZL Lim-2 planes. Then Lim-6 bis planes landed here. The airport was also used by; 6th Fighter-Assault Aviation Regiment and 51st Fighter-Assault Aviation Regiment. Both units from Piła. After 1968, the airport was used periodically by the 10th Fighter Aviation Regiment from Łask. MiG-21 planes of this Regiment were based here in the 70's and 80's. The Polish Army resigned from Rudniki Airport at the beginning of the 90s. Military planes rarely landed here, and combat planes at all.
At the beginning of the 50s, the Aero Club of Częstochowa was established. But the first paratroopers, gliders, and light aircraft pilots appeared here in 1957.
Attempts were made to include the Rudniki airport in the network of domestic airports served by LOT Polish Airlines. It was successful in the 1983 season. It was a significant behavior of the communists who, after the suspension of martial law, offered to travel by plane to pilgrims going to Jasna Góra. At that time, the homeland was visited by St. John Paul II the Great. The route Warszawa-Częstochowa and Gdańsk-Częstochowa was served by Antonow An-24 planes. The route was unsuccessful and airplane seat utilization was low. Generally a bitter society could not afford such a luxury. The ticket cost nearly PLN 1,000, and a worker from the cement plant in Rudniki earned PLN 4,000 - 5,000. LOT Polish Airlines also performed several flights on the Częstochowa - Koszalin route.
In addition, the communists explained that commercial communication was launched because the Mierzęcice-Pyrzowice Airport was under renovation. But in such situations the planes were redirected to the Balice Airport near Krakow. Rudniki airport did not have any technical facilities for servicing commercial aircraft. It had to be created. In the 1984 season, connections were not restored.
In the 90s of the 20th century and until 2003, PZL An-2 planes, which were used to train parachute jumpers, were periodically based here. The service was provided by an army unit in the strength of a platoon. In addition to servicing airplanes and the airport, soldiers also performed guard duty. In 2001, the Polish Army transferred the airport to the Military Property Agency. The airport has been put up for sale, maintaining its aviation character. It has been a private owner since 2004.
In the period 2007-2017, the airport was listed in the register of landing sites of the Civil Aviation Office under item 24.
In 2017, it was entered in the Civil Airports Register as a non-certified public airport. So planes can land and take off at the airport, the flight of which does not require air traffic control at the airport. The airport is approved for air operations performed by: airplanes, helicopters, gyroplanes, gliders, paragliders, powered paragliders, powered hang gliders, parachutes - in accordance with the regulations for VFR flights during the day and night for aircraft with a total take-off mass (MTOW) up to 5,700 kg. The landing strip is open all year round, day and night. Arrival must be agreed with the manager.
The airport has a post-military infrastructure: RWY hard and ground, taxiways, hangars, warehouses, fuel base, air traffic control tower, aero club building with a cafe. There is a separate parachute zone. There is electricity from its own transformer substation and a railway siding, largely dismantled.
By the way, the cost of transforming into a non-certified public airport is approximately PLN 1 million. One of the benefits of such a transformation is the right to approach the landing of aircraft using the GNSS satellite navigation system. As a result, planes arriving from abroad can land at the airport.
The last major tragedy, which took place on July 5, 2014, was the plane crash of the Piper PA-31 near the town of Topolowo, in which 11 people were killed and one was seriously injured.
The airport's development plans are at the local level, because the Pyrzowice Airport is located 65 km away.
Near the Rudniki Airport, in the village of Kościelec, at the intersection of the National Road No. 1 and Mykanowska Street, there is the "Samolot" inn. Its attraction is the "Odlot" restaurant located inside the commercial Iliuszyn Ił-18 turboprop aircraft. The plane was operated by PLL LOT with registration marks SP-LSD. The Il-18 plane, No. 184007102, registration SP-LSD, bore the proper name "Tobruk". The plane was delivered to PLL LOT as new. Built in March 1964. Delivered to LOT Polish Airlines in April 1964. During the service, it was repainted in the old PLL LOT painting for the film. It was withdrawn in January 1991. After a few years it was bought by a private person.
Another PLL LOT Iliuszyn Ił-18 SP-LSH plane, also serves as a restaurant in the village of Sprawków at the National Road No. 81, near Jastrzębia Góra.
Data - Częstochowa-Rudniki Airport.
The airport is located near the National Road No. 1 (E-75) Cieszyn-Gdańsk, the so-called "game". Currently (2018), a road junction of the Częstochowa bypass is being built near the airport. The city center is 10 km away.
The airport has a sports character. Its manager is the Aero Club of Częstochowa, and the owner is a private entity. IATA Code - CZW. ICAO code - EPRU. Geographic coordinates: 50 ° 53′10.08 ″ N 19 ° 12′08.90 ″ E. Altitude 262 m above sea level (860 ft).
The take-off area has one RWY hard concrete in the 08/26 direction with dimensions of 2,000 m x 60 m. The threshold of the main runway DS1 has been moved 200 m to the west.
In parallel, ground RWY and grass were placed. Usually, there are designated DS2 with dimensions 720 x 240 m and DS3 with dimensions 1,800 x 140 m. DS2 and DS3 are marked with white color limiters not more than every 100 m. Each stop has minimum dimensions of 3 m x 1 m.
Radio communication - Rudniki Radio - 122.800 MHz. Aero club tel: +48 783 995 277, +48 34 32 79 755.
The airport can be used by aircraft with a take-off weight of up to 5 700 kg. The take-off area is adequately lit and ready to receive airplanes and helicopters with the use of the GNSS satellite navigation system.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman