Airport in Ujazd, Tomaszów county. 2021
Former military airport in Ujazd, Tomaszów county.
Ujazd airport was founded by the German army during the occupation of Poland in 1941, i.e. in the year when brothers; the Germans and Russians looked at each other. Although it is equally probable that this area was included in the plans of the Polish Army in 1938 as an airport planted.
The town of Ujazd is a village located in the Łódzkie Voivodeship, in the Tomaszów poviat, in the Ujazd commune. The Piasecznica river flows through the village. Geographic coordinates: 51 ° 35′40 ″ N 19 ° 55′37 ″ E.
History of the Ujazd airport.
The fact that Ujazd could be considered as a Polish ambush (backup) airport is evidenced by the fact that in the town of Ujazd there is a manor (palace) with full facilities and large, even fields and small forests to hide planes. In the middle of the 15th century on the site of the present palace, a castle was built, which subsequent owners expanded. One of the owners, in the first half of the 17th century, partially demolished the medieval castle and built an early baroque palace using some of the walls. In the 18th century, the palace was destroyed during one of the wars. The owner from the Ostrowski family, rebuilt the palace that still stands today. The palace still uses some of the medieval walls. Palace, 14 hectare park, piggery, sheepfold, barn, manor house, gate, chapel at the entrance gate, steward and mill; survived the Second World War undamaged. In September 1944, the palace and all property were seized by the communist state. After 1949, the entire estate of the Ostrowski family was incorporated into the state-owned farm (PGR). In the years 1957-2001, the palace was under the care of the Polish Scouting Association. Currently, the manor is in private hands. The new owner has beautifully renovated the palace.
On May 2, 1945, Polish air units were ordered to ferry to Poland. Most of the regiments were directed to the so-called Łódź airport junction. Ujazd airport belonged to this node. The 2nd Brandenburg Assault Aviation Division was transported here: the Staff of the Division and the 8th Assault Aviation Regiment were based in Lublinek, and the 6th and 7th Assault Aviation Regiments in Ujazd. From January 22, 1946, the division was called the 2nd Assault Aviation Division of the Polish Army, and the subordinate regiments were called the Assault Aviation Regiments. The 6th SPL was then transferred to Tomaszów Mazowiecki. On October 30, 1946, the division and the 7th and 8th PLSz were disbanded. In 1950, the 6th PLSz was incorporated into the 8th DLSz, and already in 1951, it was the base for the formation of the 16th DLSz and was stationed in Piła. The Ujazd airport was abandoned by the Polish Army. Assault regiments mainly used Il-2 planes.
Ujazd airport description.
The landing area of Ujazd airport was polygonal, with an area of about 170 hectares. The maximum length was 1,400 m, and the maximum width was also 1,400 m. The southern area was limited by a dirt road. From the west it was limited by the provincial road No. 713 and Antolin Street. From the north along Antolin Street towards the Skrzynka railway station. And from the east with the water tributaries of the Piasecznica River and a tree stand. The provincial road No. 713 connects Łódź with Opoczno, and the section Ujazd - Tomaszów Mazowiecki runs by the airport.
While the officers had good quarters in the palace, the soldiers were quartered in tents and dugouts. The airport had no hangar. There were also no wooden barracks. Buildings in the palace park were used. There was also a stable for horses there. The planes stood in the open air and were masked under trees. Fuel was stored in barrels, and ammunition and bombs in crates. Carts and a few trucks were used for transport. The regiments had several bicycles and a motorcycle.
In 1946, the Ujazd Airport was abandoned by the Polish Army.
Compiled by Karol Placha Hetman