Steam locomotive Tw12-12.
The Austrian series 80 steam locomotive, which bears the Polish designation Tw12, was produced at the StEG Wien factory in Vienna. It was developed similarly to the steam locomotives of the 170 series and 270 series by the engineer Karl Gölsdorf (1861-1916). Karl Gölsdorf graduated from the Technical University of Vienna and worked in the machinery factory of the State Railways. In 1891, he became a railroad clerk and worked in the Ministry of Railways until his death. Karl Gölsdorf is the author of several innovative design solutions used in steam locomotives and warships. In 1895, an engineer built a high-speed locomotive that reached a top speed of 110 km / h. Its designs are also steam locomotives series 170 (in Poland Tr11) and 270 (in Poland Tr12).
The Tw12 steam locomotive has an E axis system, that is 0-5-0 (OOOOO), and the Polish designation is a small letter "w". For example, the TKw2 steam locomotive was built in this axle configuration.
The series 80 (Tw12) steam locomotive was produced in the period 1909 - 1921. The Tw12 steam locomotive was introduced on the Austrian Railways in 1909 as an improved Tw11. The main difference was the use of a superheater boiler, i.e. dry steam, and a twin engine. Like the Tr12 steam locomotive, it was adapted to mountain routes. The Tr12 and Tw12 locomotives had many common features. The door to the smoke box was two-part, opened to the sides. The locomotives have identical so-called half-booths. Both locomotives have identical trends based on three axles with a water supply of 16 m3 and a coal supply of 6,800 kg. Tender was developed in 1911. Despite the different axle configuration, both locomotives Tr12 and Tw12 performed identical work, servicing mainly freight trains. They played an important role during the Great World War. In the Tw12 locomotive, the first, third and fifth axes can be shifted sideways, which allows for negotiating tight bends. Until 1915, steam locomotives with a coupled engine were built. 140 such locomotives were built. In the period 1911 - 1918, locomotives with twin engines were built. 208 such locomotives were built.
After the Great World War, 8 Tw-12 locomotives remained in Poland. At the beginning of the 20-year period, 132 more Tw12 locomotives were purchased. In the interwar period, the Polish State Railways operated 140 machines of this series. Locomotives worked mainly in Krakow and Lviv. After the Second World War, there were about 30 such steam locomotives in Poland. The preserved Tw12-12 steam engine is located in the open-air museum in Chabówka.
Tw12-12 factory number 4423, was built in 1920, at the Maschinenfabrik der K. und K. priv factory. österreichischen Staatseisenbahn-Gesellschaft (StEG), Vienna. After the Great World War, he found his way to Poland. He received the designation Tw12-49. After the invasion of Poland by Germany and Russia in 1939, the locomotive was taken over by German railways and received the designation DRB: 57,344. After the Second World War, it returned to Poland and was designated Tw12-12. The steam locomotive worked, among others, in MD Chełm, where in 1967 it was removed from the state. It was placed as an exhibit at the Chełm station. He came to Chabówka in May 1993.
T-T data of the Tw12 steam locomotive:
The own weight of the locomotive alone is 39,000 kg. The service weight of the locomotive with tender is 69,400 kg. Length of the locomotive 10.86 m. Length with the tender 17.28 m. Height 4.57 m. Diameter of the driving wheels 1.26 m. Pressure in the boiler 14 at. The heating area of the boiler is 137.8 m2. The superheater heating area is 31.0 m2. Grate area of 3.40 m2. Type tendra 16C11. Water supply 16 m3. Coal stock 6,800 kg. Design speed 50 km / h.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman