Siemirowice Airport. 2011
Military airport Siemirowice.
Siemirowice airport is located in the Lębork Land. The Lębork Region returned to Poland in 1945 and was incorporated into the Gdańsk Province. In 1975, Lębork was incorporated into the newly created Słupsk Province, and in 1999, the Lębork Land again came back under the care of Gdańsk in the Pomeranian Province. From the airport in Siemirowice, it is 20 km to Lębork, 72 km to Gdańsk, 177 km to Bydgoszcz and 412 km to Warsaw.
History of the Siemirowice Airport.
Siemirowice airport is located in the Pomeranian Voivodeship, Lębork District, Cewice Commune. Other acceptable names; Cewice Airport, Łebunia Airport.
Siemirowice airport is a typically Polish Military Airport. The airport was built in the period 1950-1956, when almost 40 military airports were built in Poland. Siemirowice airport belonged and belongs to the airports subordinated to the Polish Navy. The decision to build it was made at the beginning of the 1950s. It was created in exchange for the liquidated Gdańsk Wrzeszcz Airport, which made the development of the Tri-City impossible. At that time, the 30th Naval Aviation Regiment stationed at Gdańsk Wrzeszcz Airport, which was on the eve of major changes.
Initially, Siemirowice Airport was to be occupied by the Soviet army stationed in Poland, but as a result of Polish-Soviet talks, the Russians seized airports in the western part of Poland.
A wooded, sparsely inhabited area was selected as the location of the airport. The first documents mention the name of the village of Łebunia near Lębork. Later, the name of Cewice Village was used, because the local authorities had their seat here. The construction of housing blocks of the officer (garrison) estate was started in the area of Siemirowice. For this reason, until today both names are used interchangeably for the Airport; Cewice, Siemirowice.
The airport design took into account all the latest trends in the construction of such facilities in the world. The airport was designed to base an air unit in the strength of an air regiment, along with an airport service battalion and a blind landing squadron. The construction of the airport began at the beginning of 1953. One of the first investments was a railway siding, which was supplied with virtually all building materials. The pace of work was fast and the construction unit already had considerable experience in erecting similar structures. In 1955, the runway (RWY), measuring 2,000 m x 60 m, taxiway and 20 individual parking stands for airplanes was ready. Before the arrival of the first host, they were ready; MPS, technical warehouse, battery room, compressor room.
Siemirowice airport - 1950s.
The first military unit to settle down at Siemirowice Airport for many years was the 15th Independent Reconnaissance Aviation Squadron of the Polish Navy, established in 1955. The 15th SELR air throw was transferred to the Siemirowice Airport on October 1, 1956. In 1956, they were based at the airport; 2 Il-28, 3 Il-28 R, 1 UIł-28 and the connecting Po-2. New services were created systematically, and facilities for them; meteorology, film processing and communications.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman