Skarżysko Kamienna 2021-09-16
Skarżysko Kamienna railway station.
Description of the photo: Skarżysko Kamienna Railway Station seen from the footbridge over the platforms. Platform 3 is already renovated. Further renovation works are underway.
Description of the photo: Skarżysko Kamienna Railway Station right after the general renovation.
The town of Skarżysko Kamienna is located in the Old Polish Industrial District. As early as in the 15th century, there were iron ore mines and the first ironworks here. The city is located on the Kamienna River and its tributaries: the Kamionka, Bernatka and Oleśnica, on the border of the Świętokrzyska Forest. Skarżysko Kamienna is situated in the historical Lesser Poland, in the former Sandomierz region. The city is relatively young and its development dates back to the second half of the 19th century. The town was granted city rights on January 1, 1923.
In 1884, a railway was passed through this area. The section between the Radom - Tunnel stations was part of the Iwanogrodzko-Dąbrowska Railway. The line ran, inter alia, through Szydłowiec - Suchedniów - Kielce. The Ivangorod-Dąbrowska railway (Russian Ивангородо-Домбровская железная дорога, Ivangorodo-Dombrowskaja Żeleznaja doroga), also the Iron Road, Iwangorodzko-Dąbrowska. The route currently connects the Dęblin - Dąbrowa Górnicza stations. The line was built in the period 1883-1885 and was 462 km long. It was built as broad-gauge.
However, it should be remembered that the Russians did not develop railroads in the Kingdom of Poland on purpose in order to hinder the enemy from any possible hostilities. But as a result, there was an economic backwardness. A minor breakthrough in the efforts to launch the railway took place in April 1875, when a permit was issued in St. Petersburg to build a route from Ivangorod (Dęblin) to Dąbrowa (Dąbrowa Górnicza). When Poland regained independence (1918), the route was converted into a standard-gauge track.
In 1884, the trail was laid near the village of Bzin (Russian Бзин). The station was named Bzin (Russian Бзин) from the name of this town. This name was used in the period 1885–1897, that is until the nationalization of railways in Russia. Then the name was changed to Скаржиско (Polish Skarzysko). This name was used until 1918. When Poland regained independence, the name was changed to Skarżysko, and in 1938, the current name was Skarżysko Kamienna.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman