PKP Kraków Main Railway Station. 2021
Since 2006, there is a railway connection between the International Airport "John Paul II", and the railway station PKP Kraków Główny.
Railway history in Kraków.
The development of iron railways in Polish lands was very dynamic and similar as in most countries of Western Europe. In Kraków, the construction of the railway station and the railway line from Silesia was planned in the 30-year-old centers. In the first assumptions, the railway station was to arise in Łobzów, outside of the city, in the area of the current Street Prądnicaj. However, it was evaluated that it is very far from the center of Krakow. After long efforts, a square was obtained on the so-called suburb from which only 900 m is only 900 m, 10 minutes on foot. Others called this part of Krakow, cheerful. The area was purchased from the Rector of the University of Józef Maciej Brodowicz, for PLN 200,000. There was also a new palace in this area, which was also purchased. Railway offices were placed in the palace. Railway offices were transferred from the main Treutler tenement house located in the market. Treutler's family, the main estate had in Wałbrzych.
The construction of the railway line and the station was the common work of the Senate of the Free City of Krakow and the Prussian Society for ACC. On the Board of the Society, four citizens of Krakow sat on. The others were Prussians. The station in Krakow was to be a final station, but in the event of the investment success, it was planned to extend until Lviv, by Tarnów, Rzeszów and Przemyśl.
Interestingly, Austro - Hungary had a different railway development plan in Galicia, which was founded in 1829. Then Krakow was a free city - the Krakow Rzeczpospolita, but in the following years he was incorporated into Austro - Hungary and became a provincial city. The railway line planned by Austrians was to enter the area of Galicia from south-east and proceeding through Zator - Skawina - Podgórze, and not entering Krakow, running to Bochnia. In 1843, ultimately a private investor resigned from the construction of this line in Galicia. So how you can see, the interests of the invaders; Prussian and Austrian were not compatible.
Not going to the Austrian interest, the Krakow authorities decided to build a line leading to Upper Silesia to Mysłowice, which gave a real chance to combine Krakow with Wrocław and Berlin, and above all, with the route of Warsaw - Vienna built at the same time. The investment was largely financed by Wrocław and Lower Silesian manufacturers.
At this point, it is worth paying attention to one more aspect. Prussian military authorities did not agree to the placing the railway to the city in Prussia, due to their possible use in the fight. But in Krakow, the Austrian army did not have much to say.
To bring a single track to the center of Krakow, several engineering buildings were necessary: on the current street Lucjana Rydla was made by a regular railway crossing. Next, the track was running after embankment. At Wrocławska Street, a short barracks, a small bridge with arched vault was built. Only Furmananka could cross this bridge. The carriage did not fit. Next, on the street Władysław Łokietka, the same bridge was built. Only above the street street, a large steel viaduct was built with two lanes of traffic, where all contemporary vehicles were located. Already on the plan of Krakow from 1847, the railway line runs after the embankment is drawn.
The connection between Mysłowice and Kraków was launched on October 13, 1847. On this day, the first train, pulled by the steam locomotive called "Kraków", went from the Krakow train station for the route to Mysłowice.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman