Kamień Śląski 2011-02-20
Airport in Kamień Śląski.
Geographic coordinates of 50.529N 18.085E.
History of the airport.
The Kamień Śląski airport was established around 1935 by the German army with the intention of using it to attack the Republic of Poland. It was located next to the village of Kamień Śląski, among forests, away from important communication routes. The center of Opole is 24 km away.
On September 1, 1939, the 102nd Fighter Group (JGR-102) with 45 Messerschmitt Bf 109 aircraft was stationed here. The group was stationed here for only two days, preparing for an air attack on Poland. Stupid Germans started the Second World War and lost many areas, including Kamień Śląski.
After the front had passed in 1945, the airport fell into the hands of the Soviets. Around 1950, the Muscovites built the first concrete runway (RWY). It was 1,500 meters long and 40 meters wide. They also built several other buildings. The Soviets were not very interested in the further development of the airport. There were several reasons, the first of which should be the location. It was simply too far to the western border of Poland. Additionally, in the vicinity, despite large forests, there were several towns; Kamionek, Siedlce, Poznowice and of course Kamień Śląski. Towns were also nearby; Gogolin, Krapkowice, Strzelce Opolskie and Opole. All villages within 15 km. Another reason was the two limestone mines operating nearby; Górażdże and Tarnów Opolski and a cement plant. And perhaps the last reason; no large training ground nearby.
It is not known exactly in which year the Soviets left the airport and handed it over to the Polish Army. It is possible that it happened even in 1970.
Due to the conversion of the Polish Aviation almost completely into combat aircraft with supersonic speed, it turned out to be necessary to extend the RWY and modernize the infrastructure. It is known that the airport became an alternate airport for the 39th PLM from Mierzęcice until 1987, and then as an alternate airport for the 2nd ELM in 1989 - 1999. However, already in the second half of the 90-year Squadron (2nd ELM) there were practically no was based. Due to the lack of a permanent airport host, the facility gradually fell into disrepair. The airport manager was AMW, which sold the airport to a private owner in 2003.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman