Iljuszyn Ił-28, 1952-10-31.
Bomber, school, reconnaissance aircraft, target tug, WRe (radio-electronic fight).
Turbo-jet bombers for Poland.
In Poland, the years 1944-1948 are characterized by the consolidation of Soviet power. And it was probably, most probably 1949, that he made us realize that we must temporarily forget about a sovereign state. Everything in Poland was organized on a Soviet pattern. The implementation of the "Seven Year Development Plan of the Polish Army for 1949-1955". The plan was realistic and, if possible, devastated by war.
However, the situation has changed. In 1950, war broke out in Korea. Initially, it did not matter much to Poland. But the rapid escalation of hostilities has had a decisive impact on the development of events on the East-West line. World War III was real.
In this situation, Moscow decided to rearm allied armies, including Poland, in a new technique and ordered the armed forces to be expanded to the extent beyond Poland's capabilities. The implementation of the "Seven Year Development Plan of the Polish Army for the years 1949–1955" has been suspended.
In February 1951, the "Organizational Intent Plan for 1951–1952" was implemented in Poland, assuming dynamic quantitative growth of the Air Forces that were to create 25 new air regiments.
One of the points on the plan was the development of bomber aviation and the introduction of turbojet aircraft.
In 1951, 15 DLB (Bomber Aviation Division) was created at the airport in Malbork, consisting of: 7 and 33 Bomber Regiment, 68 Communications Company and 48 Mobile Aviation Repair Workshops. Initially, the Tu-2 bomber with piston propulsion was to become the basic aircraft.
Two bomber regiments were not enough. That is why in 1952 the third bomb regiment was created - No. 35 PLB
At that time, the decision was made to buy Ił-28 turbojet aircraft. New aircraft required a concrete runway. That is why 15 DLB were moved to the airport in Bydgoszcz.
Ił-28 in the Polish Army. 1952.
Throughout 1952, in 15 DLB at the airport in Bydgoszcz, preparations were made for the adoption of IL-28 bombers. Bydgoszcz has become a base for rearming and training for bomber aviation.
On October 31, 1952, the first Il-28 aircraft landed at the airport in Bydgoszcz - eight aircraft. At the same time, a group of Soviet instructors was brought from units based on the territory of the GDR and from CCCP.
Ił-28 aircraft were brand new. They were left in a natural duralumin color. The chessboards were applied to the vertical tail, the rear part of the fuselage and the wing. The side numbers were painted in accordance with Soviet standards.
On 11.12.1952, the first training and combat UIł-28 (factory number 64204) landed at the airport in Bydgoszcz.
On April 4, 1952, 7 PLB and 33 PLB were transferred to the airport in Bydgoszcz. 35 PLB initially had in stock old propeller aircraft: Pe-2 FT, UPe-2, Po-2.
The beginning of 1953 was a period of training on new equipment. The training went quickly and without major disturbances. More IL-28 aircraft arrived in Bydgoszcz. Pilots of the new bombers were pilots of the Pe-2 or Tu-2 bombers. Interestingly, despite a completely different drive, in-training was not a problem. After a few flights, on the UIł-28 version, the pilot was able to perform a solo flight.
15 DLB was moved from Bydgoszcz to Warsaw to Bemowo airport, and then to Modlin airport, 1953. Bydgoszcz remained the central base for inspections and repairs of Ił-28 bombers.
1953, was characterized by very intensive training of all 15 DLB crews. This is demonstrated by the number of hours flown away. For example, 35 PLB achieved an air raid of 922.41 hours, including: on combat aircraft - 550.39 hours; on training-combat aircraft - 60.53 hours; on school planes - 311.09 hours
In the spring of 1954, the decision was made to display the first public Ił-28 aircraft in flight. This took place on July 22, 1954, during a parade over Katowice (at that time called Stalinogrod). The parade was attended by crews from 7 PLB and 33 PLB on Il-28 aircraft.
In 1954, 35 PLB received its first new Il-28 bomber aircraft.
Also in 1954, it ended in a large raid for 15 DLBs, mainly on Il-28 aircraft. For example, 35 PLB obtained a raid of 615.25 hours, including: on combat aircraft - 273.54 hours, on training-combat aircraft - 118.58 hours. and at school - 265.33 hours. During the annual briefing the results of the competition were announced; I-place 7 PLB, II-place 35 PLB, III-place 33 PLB.
In 1955, there were further changes in Polish bomber aviation. Their main reason was the introduction of the third version of the aircraft, i.e. Ił-28 R, and the introduction of Ił-28 bombers to sea aviation.
For the entire 1955, the division achieved another record result of hours spent in the air. For example, 35 PLB obtained a raid of 1325.34 hours, including on combat aircraft: 531.02 hours, on training and combat aircraft: 379 and on training aircraft: 415.32 hours.
Another year ended with a high division rating. In the competition, the order from the previous year was repeated. In addition, 7 PLB and 35 PLB ended the year without an accident, which is a huge success.
Sochaczew was the base of 21 SPLR (independent reconnaissance aviation regiment). In May 1955, deliveries to Poland of Ił-28 R reconnaissance aircraft for 21 SPLR began. This regiment was also to receive Ił-28 and school IL-28 bombers.
In 1955, Ił-28 aircraft were introduced to naval aviation equipment - 15 SELR (independent naval reconnaissance squadron).
At the end of June 1956, all division regiments were put into full combat readiness. However, this condition was not maintained for long. This was related to the unrest and strike of workers that took place in Poznań (Poznań Uprising) and, as a consequence, to the movements of the Red Army.
In 1957, the delivery of Il-28 aircraft to Poland ended. In the years 1952-1957, they bought together; 73 Il-28, 16 Il-28 (Il-28 U) and 9 Il-28 R.
Units in which Ił-28 aircraft were operated;
- 15 DLB (7 PLB, 33 PLB, 35 PLB) in Modlin, and later also Powidz,
- OSL-4 in Dęblin; several pieces for a short period (1953-1957),
- 21 SPLR in Sochaczew; including 6 Ił-28 R,
- 15 SELR in Siemirowice; including 3 Ił-28 R,
- 19 EH (towing squadron) in Słupsk.
In 1958, 35 PLB was dismantled. The aircraft were transferred to 7 PLB and 33 PLB.
1960 - 1970.
At the beginning of the 60's, Ił-28 ceased to meet the requirements of bomber planes and were assigned for reconnaissance tasks. Bomb units were transformed into reconnaissance regiments. And so, 7 PLB and 33 PLB changed their names to operational reconnaissance aviation regiments, and the numbering remained unchanged. In the mid-60s, CCCP purchased sets of electronic warfare apparatus and 10 Polish Ił-28 converted into WRE aircraft designated Ił-28 E. Each set was equipped with the SRS-2 or SRS-3 radiotechnical reconnaissance station and an active SPS electronic interference station -2 or ejector cut ASO-28 metallized film (popular "chaff-cutter").
On December 29, 1977, the combat operation of Ił-28 in the Polish Air Forces was officially completed. Aircraft training was completed on August 27, 1978.
On December 23, 1978, the operation of the Il-28 in Naval Aviation was completed, at 15 ELR (SELR) in Siemirowice.
On October 2, 1979, the last flights in Poland of Il-28 sea aviators took place in 19 EH.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman