Electric locomotives in Poland.
The first electric locomotives in Poland were put into operation in 1933, on a distance of only 10 km, between Warsaw East - Warsaw West railway stations. These were the EL.100 series locomotives by Metropolitan-Vickers, obtained through Electrical Export, which were designated by PKP as type E01, and then EP01. Two locomotives were built in England, and the remaining four were built in the First Fabryka Lokomotyw w Polsce Sp. Akc. In Chrzanów. Production in Poland lasted from 1934 to 1936.
In 1937, it was judged that the EP01 locomotives were too powerful for their tasks and therefore consume too much electricity. That is why the EL.200 locomotives were developed and their production started in HCP Cegielski in Poznań. The further development of Polish electric locomotives was interrupted by the invasion of Poland by the German army.
During the war, the small network of electrified lines in the Warsaw junction was completely destroyed and looted.
Electric locomotive EP02.
The E.116 EP02-07 series locomotive was built in 1954 as the seventh in the series. She stayed at PaFaWag for several months to perform tests, and it was not until October 1956 that she was transferred to PKP, the Warszawa Zachodnia depot. From November 12, 1969 to March 20, 1972, the locomotive worked in Dębica. She was removed from state on March 21, 1972. Then it was transferred to Zakopane, where it worked stationary as a heating carriages until 1992. According to official data, the locomotive traveled 831,856 km. In 1992, the crew of the Locomotive Depot in Sucha Beskidzka renovated the locomotive as an exhibit, without internal equipment. Since 1994, it has been an exhibit in the open-air museum in Chabówka.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman