History Construction Tally

CWL Mokotów, WWS "Samolot" Hanriot H-28

Kraków 2020-03-26

00124a Section 1924

CWL Mokotów, WWS „Samolot” Hanriot H-28

Poland

School and sanitary aircraft

Historia

Hanriot H-28 nr 30.52. Airport Mokotów. Photo of LAC
Hanriot H-28 nr 30.52. Airport Mokotów. Photo of LAC

Hanriot H-28 registration SP-AGM and pilot Jadwiga Pitulanka. Airport Rakowice-Czyżyny. Photo of NAC
Hanriot H-28 registration SP-AGM and pilot Jadwiga Pitulanka. Airport Rakowice-Czyżyny. Photo of NAC

Hanriot H-28 S nr 30.3S. Airport Rakowice-Czyżyny. Photo of LAC
Hanriot H-28 S nr 30.3S. Airport Rakowice-Czyżyny. Photo of LAC

Hanriot H-28 S nr 30.3S. Airport Rakowice-Czyżyny. Photo of LAC
Hanriot H-28 S nr 30.3S. Airport Rakowice-Czyżyny. Photo of LAC

After the end of the Great World War in Poland, mainly three planes were used for training: Caudron G-3 from 1919, Nieuport 23m from 1918 and Albatros B-II from 1918. In 1923, it was decided to start serial production of a new school aircraft. In the absence of Polish constructions and extensive cooperation with France, it was decided to buy the Hanriot HD-14 aircraft.

The Hanriot HD-14 aircraft is a two-seater, biplane, powered by the Le Rhône C rotary engine, with 59 kW (80 HP). The first flight was made in 1923. Production in France began in 1924. Hanriot H (HD) -17 is a seaplane on floats.

In Poland, initially the production of Hanriot HD-14 aircraft was placed in the Central Aviation Workshops in Mokotów. In Warsaw, 75 copies were made of components supplied from France. The first plane was flown in December 1924.

There was also a proposal to build aircraft in Lublin. Eventually, the production of Hanriot aircraft was placed at Wielkopolska Wytwórnia Planów (WWS) "Airplane" in Poznań. WWS "Airplane" factory received the order in 1924. Semi-finished products from France were used to build the aircraft. The organization of production was also modeled on French methods.

On 1925-02-22, the first Hanriot HD-14 aircraft built in Poznań was baptized by General Włodzimierz Zagórski, responsible for the development of Polish Aviation. The aircraft made its first flight two days earlier, on 1925-02-20.

In the period 1925-1926, WWS "Airplane" built 120 machines, which were initially designated HD-14, and a little later Hanriot H-28. The Hanriot H-28 aircraft was called "Butterfly".

WWS Design Office "Airplane", based on Hanriot H-28, developed a sanitary version designed to transport one wounded on a stretcher. The aircraft received the designation H-28 S. In 1925, two aircraft were built, which were delivered in September and October 1925. The aircraft received the numbers 30.1 S and 30.2 S. In 1927-1928, 16 H-28 S were built. WW-H aircraft manufactured in WWS received the numerical type designation: 30 (numbers 30.3 S to 30.18 S).

80 Hanriot H-19 aircraft were also built. it was an H-14 aircraft with a different engine. In total, around 200 aircraft were built. The Polish Army from France received 70 more aircraft. In total, there were 295 Hanriot H-28 and derivative aircraft in Poland. In addition to training, they were used to tow gliders and shooting sleeves. In the Polish Army, aircraft were used as liaison machines. In Warsaw, one aircraft received Rudlicki type tail. Eventually, Hanriot H-28 aircraft were withdrawn at the end of 1935, handing over the last machines to civil aviation: Aeroclubs, LOPP and Civilian Pilot School at the Poznań-Ławica airport.

Written by Karol Placha Hetman