Development of the Brzeg airport.
The Russians in Brzeg took a large area. This did not prevent them from further expanding the base area. In the 1950s, the base reached a maximum area of about 680 hectares. The airport was about 5,000 m long and over 2,000 m wide. With the introduction of faster and faster aircraft into service, the DS (RWY) was modernized in the 09/27 direction. The modernization involved not only extending the DS (RWY), but also extending it. Initially (around 1955) it was enlarged to 1,900 m long and 40 m wide, and by the end of the 60's it reached 2,500 m x 60 m. The area was 150,000 square m. The concrete pavement was capable of receiving An-12 transport aircraft.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman