48 Assault Aviation Regiment. 1952-1963
48th Assault Aviation Regiment.
48th Fighter and Assault Regiment.
1952 - 1963
The 48th Assault Aviation Regiment was formed on the basis of the order No. 0096 / Org. Minister of National Defense, Konstanty Rokossowski, on December 11, 1951. The 48th Assault Aviation Regiment, as a military unit of JW 4954, was actually created in 1952 as part of the 8th Assault Aviation Division. The place of organization was the airport in Przasnysz, in the period from May 1 to December 1, 1952, according to job no. 6/104, with a capacity of 307 soldiers and 2 contract workers.
The basic aircraft in the 48th Assault Aviation Regiment were Ilyushin Il-10 assault planes and their copies of the AVIA B-33, Czechoslovak production. On October 1, 1953, there were 23 Il-10 aircraft in the 48th PLSz.
After the changes in 1952, the structure of the 8th Assault Aviation Division was as follows: 4th Assault Aviation Regiment "Kraków", 46th Assault Aviation Regiment, 48th Assault Aviation Regiment, 87th Communication Company, 49th Mobile Aviation Repair Workshop. As the 46th Assault Aviation Regiment was abandoned, it was replaced by the 5th Assault Aviation Regiment.
The training of the 48th Assault Aviation Regiment at the Przasnysz airport lasted from May 1952 to February 1953. At the beginning of 1953, the 48th Assault Aviation Regiment was permanently transferred to the Latkowo Airport near Inowrocław. In turn, the 35th Bomber Regiment was routed from Inowrocław to Przasnysz Airport.
At the end of 50 years, the decision was made to withdraw piston-powered attack aircraft from use. Since no new turbojet attack aircraft have been developed in the CCCP, the MiG-15, Lim-1, Lim-2 planes were introduced to the assault regiments.
In 1960, the 48th Assault Aviation Regiment changed its name to the 48th Fighter-Assault Aviation Regiment. At the same time, the 20th Artillery Aviation Squadron was separated from the Regiment.
The Regiment of the 48th Fighter-Assault Aviation Regiment was disbanded in 1963. Two squadrons were the base for the created 56th Air Regiment, and the third was incorporated into the newly formed 32nd Artillery Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman