26 then 9 Fighter Aviation Regiment in Zegrze Pomorskie 1952-1999
26th Fighter Regiment. 1952 - 1989.
9th Fighter Regiment. 1989 - 1999.
9 Tactical Squadron. 1999 - 2002.
in Zegrzu Pomorskim.
The Zegrze Pomorskie.
Zegrze Pomorskie is a town located in the West Pomeranian Voivodeship, in the Koszalin Poviat, in the Świeszczyno Commune, at Voivodeship Road No. 168 (which connects Voivodeship Road No. 167, through National Road No. 11, with Voivodeship Road No. 205). Zegrze Pomorskie is a Sołecka town which includes; Czaple, Sieranie and Zegrzyn. It is 18 km to Koszalin and 25 km to the Baltic Sea. In the years 1975-1998, the town belonged to the Koszaliński Province.
The Zegrze Pomorskie Airport.
The construction of Zegrze Pomorskie Airport began in 1951. The airport construction plan was standard and typical for airports built according to Soviet designs. A runway was laid out, which was hard from the very beginning, with a concrete surface. Its dimensions: 1,900 m x 40 m. Designated; racks, composition of propellants and lubricants.
At the same time, construction of residential blocks for officers in Rosnov began, which is known as Osiedle Rosnowo. The estate is located on the Rosnowskie Lake.
Forming 26 PLM.
Polish Minister of National Defense - Marshal of Poland Konstanty Rokossowski (What is he Polish?), By order of 23.03.1952, ordered to form 26 PLM. The commander of the 9th DLM (fighter division) announced the formation of the Regiment in the city of Malbork by organizational order. Initially, the Regiment was created in Orneta, but soon moved to Malbork. Major Ivan Gołubickij became the first commander, and until his arrival, Lt. Sobańko was responsible for the organization's affairs.
The first aircraft in the 26th Regiment were Jak-23 aircraft, which were delivered in 12 units on May 24, 1952. The first training flight took place on June 2, 1952 in Malbork.
On September 25, 1953, 26 PLM command left for Zegrze Pomorskie to collect from the builders three housing blocks for the staff (Osiedle Rosnowo), barracks and staff facilities and a runway in the take-off field.
On September 30, 1953, the 26th Regiment began to rearrange from Malbork to Zegrze Pomorski. On October 2, 1953, the first echelon (military train) arrived at the railway station in Koszalin, from where the army arrived in Zegrze Pomorskie. The repositioning of the 26th Regiment ended on 10.10.1953. Only a few aircraft were carried on the Yak-23 aircraft.
On October 31, 1953, 13 MiG-15 aircraft landed from other Polish military units landed at Zegrze Pomorskie Airport.
The construction of the airport is still underway in subsequent years. Concrete taxiways and concrete racks were created. An airplane shooting range and a classic shooting range for soldiers were launched.
The first aircraft centering zone was designated in the northwestern part of the airport. 16 stalls were designated here, which received earth embankments in the 1960s. Here stood Yak-23 and MiG-15 fighters, followed by various types of PZL Lim aircraft.
At the end of the 70s, another fuel depot and a second fleet were built. Shelter hangars were built. At the beginning of the 80s, the airport infrastructure acquired its final shape. Stopping the development of Polish Military Aviation in the 1990s also halted the development and modernization of the Zegrze Pomorskie Airport.
In 1953, the Polish Aviation Industry already mass-produced PZL Lim-1 fighters on a massive scale, so it was certain that the Division would soon be rearmed. From August 1953 to December 1953, 26 and 40 PLM flying and technical personnel were trained on UTI MiG-15 and Lim-1 aircraft, which replaced the Jak-23 aircraft.
In 1957, the first MiG-17 fighters and almost the Polish equivalent of PZL Lim-5 flew to Zegrze Pomorskie. School aircraft were a supplement; UTI MiG-15 and Lim-1 SB.
In 1959, the 26th Regiment was equipped with: 10 - MiG-17 / Lim-5, 17 - MiG-15 / Lim-1 / Lim-2, 4 - UTI MiG-15, 4 - Lim-1 SB, 4 - Jak-11.
The era of supersonic fighter aircraft in Polish Aviation began at the end of the 50s. In 26 PLM, the first group of pilots to train for MiG-21 aircraft was selected in the summer of 1963. The soldiers went on a course of several months to Modlin, where the Aviation Training Center operated. Pilots received training on MiG-21 F-13 aircraft (those without radiolocation sights). OPL OK command decided to transfer 26 PLM four machines of this type, obtained from other units. Most of 1 PLM from Mińsk Mazowiecki. These were the MiG-21 F-13 nb 803, 805, 806, 807. These planes landed in Zegrze Pomorskie at the turn of July and August 1964. In this way 26 PLM became the fourth unit operating in Poland of this type of aircraft.
In 1964, another group of pilots and technicians were trained for the next type of fighter, the MiG-21 PF. This time the training was conducted at Krzesiny Airport. New fighters were delivered here in CCCP crates. The Russians assembled them, carried out flights and handed them over to the Polish side, which carried out receiving flights. On April 6, 1965, as many as 7 new MiG-21 PF landed in Zegrze Pomorskie. These were MiG-21 PF planes nb 1801-1807.
As early as 1965, to be precise, on August 6, 1965, 26 PLM accepted 5 more MiG-21 PF planes nb 2006 - 2010. They were also new aircraft.
In 1967, the 26th Regiment adopted the next version of the MiG-21 PFM (type 94 A) aircraft. The first planes landed at Zegrze Pomorskie Airport in May 1967, and were inscribed on June 2, 1967. There were 8 machines MiG-21 PFM nb 5608 - 5615.
The development of technology was moving forward. The Russians were developing subsequent versions of the MiG-21 fighter. MiG-21 M and MiG-21 MF appeared in Poland. The MiG-21 MF versions were intended for arming 26 PLM. On February 9, 1974, six new MiG-21 MF nb 8702 - 8707 were entered in the factory condition. A month later, on March 26, 1974, another 13 MiG-21 MF machines were registered.
In the 26th Fighter Regiment, new fighters were introduced - MiG-21 bis. On 14.07.1981, on the state of 26 PLM, 18 MiG-21 bis aircraft were entered. On September 9, 1981, another 6 machines were entered, and on September 17, 1981, 11 machines. The last 36 copies were entered on December 4, 1981.
In 1989, 26 PLM was renamed 9 PLM. The regiment in Zegrze Pomorskie received the number after the dismantled unit from the Debrzno Airport. The new unit took over the traditions of 26 PLM and all previous 9 Air Regiments.
The 90s of the 20th century was a gradual stagnation, followed by a regression in the Polish Military Aviation. The Polish arms industry was sold out or liquidated. Regiments were eagerly awaiting new aircraft. And for the regiment commanders, the only task is - To maintain the standards achieved. Accession of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth to NATO in 1999 revived hope, which after a dozen or so months went out. What soldiers serving in Zegrze Pomorskie learned.
In 2000, the 9th Fighter Air Regiment was transformed into the 9th Fighter Aviation Squadron (9 ELT) and the 24th Air Base.
Despite the establishment of 9 ELT, the information spread quickly that both the Squadron and the Base would be deformed due to lack of equipment. It also happened. By the end of 2002, 9 ELT had been dismantled. Her planes were transferred to Krzesiny Airport. On November 27, 2002, 24 BLot was disassembled, transforming it into an Airport Command.
Airplanes operated at Zegrze Pomorskie Airport;
Po-2, Ut-2, Jak-18, Jak-23, MiG-15, Lim-1, SB Lim-2, Lim-2, MiG-17, Lim-5, MiG-21 F-13, MiG-21 PF, MiG-21 PFM, MiG-21 MF, MiG-21 bis, MiG-21 US, MiG-21 UM, Jak-11, TS-8 bies, TS-11 Iskra, PZL-104 Wilga.
Written by Karol Placha Hetman