10 Fighter Aviation Regiment in Łask. 1944-1946. 1968-1999Category: Squadrons Last change: September 2020
10th Fighter Aviation Regiment
1944 - 1946,
10th Fighter Aviation Regiment in Łask
10 PLM will be created.
The Soviet plans during World War II included the creation of the Polish Aviation Association as the 3rd Fighter-Bomber Aviation Division. Due to the lack of appropriate equipment, the 3rd Fighter Aviation Division was formed as part of three fighter regiments, which were given the designations 9 PLM, 10 PLM, 11 PLM.
The basis was the operational order of the Supreme Command of the Soviet Army of September 7, 1944, and the Executive Order of the General Staff of the Soviet Army, which referred to the establishment of the 1st Mixed Air Corps. The place of formation was the settlement of Karłówka in Ukraine, near the cities of Kharkiv and Kazan. The corps was created in the period from September 1944 to January 1945.
The corps consisted of the 3rd DLM (fighter aviation division). Its formation began on September 20, 1944, on the basis of 10 BSz-T (training and training brigade) from the 2nd AL. (air force). The 3 DLM included the following regiments; 9 PLM, 10 PLM (the hero of this chapter), 11 PLM.
These regiments were initially stationed in Karłówka, approximately 100 km south-west of Kharkiv. They received fighter planes from the 248th PLM from Krasnograd, which at that time had an incomplete manpower. Lt. Col. Wasyl Dobraszow was appointed the division commander.
From September 17, 1944, the training of pilots with 9 PLMs began at the Krasnogród airport, and pilots with 10 PLMs and 11 PLMs at the Karłówka airport. The basic plane was the Yak-1 fighter. The readiness to start hostilities was achieved at the beginning of 1945, and on January 20, 1945, the division was ferrying to Poland, although the order of the CCCP Aviation Commander was issued only on January 24, 1945. The Russians made sure that the Poles did not fight in the eastern territory of the Republic of Poland, and did not start fighting until they crossed the Buga river line. 3. DLM was ordered to station at the Kutno hub at the airport. Sochaczew and Kutno area. The ferrying was carried out in several aerial and wheeled projections, and was completed in March 1945. Then the regiments were moved west closer to the front. The 10th PLM took an active part in the fighting for Berlin.
The fighting has not stopped yet, and the 3rd Brandenburg DLM with its three Regiments (9th PLM, 10th PLM, 11th PLM) have been ordered to return to Poland by moving to the Kutno node.
After some time, the 10th PLM was transferred to Krakow to the Czyżyny airport.
In 1946, the regiments; 9. PLM, 10. PLM, 11. PLM were subordinated directly to the Air Force Command and already on January 24, 1946. By order of the Supreme Commander of the Polish Army, the 1st Fighter Aviation Division with its composition was established; 1. PLM in Warsaw, 2. PLM in Krakow (former 10th PLM), 3. PLM (former 11th PLM).
Reactivation of the 10th PLM in Łask. 1968 - 1999
In early 1968, there was another reorganization of aviation. Operational Aviation was merged with the Aviation Inspectorate to create DWLot (air force command) based in Poznań. As a result, regiments were moved and new ones were appointed. It was also a period in the Polish Army in which the numbering and naming of "peacetime" air units in conjunction with "wartime" air units was made so that there would be no doubt as to the Soviet roots of the Polish People's Army.
It was in the mid-1960s that the 2nd PLM in Czyżyny, due to its location, between two large cities of Krakow and Nowa Huta, began to be a nuisance for a large agglomeration. On the wave of changes in the Polish Aviation, it was dismantled, and the equipment and personnel were transferred to the airport in Łask. There, the formation of a new unit begins, which inherited the traditions and the name of the 10th PLM of the war period.
In 1968, the 10th PLM was fully formed. It was based on the airport in Łask as a unit of the Military Unit. 1158. He was under the command of WOPK and was in the structures of the 1st Corps together with the 1st PLM from Mińsk Mazowiecki, the 13th PLM from Łęczyca and the 42nd Air Transport and Liaison Squadron.
In 1972, the 13th PLM from Łęczyca, which was disbanded, was removed from the 1st Corps. The reason for its disbandment was the numerous introduction of helicopters into service. Units equipped with helicopters began to base their operations at the Łęczyca airport.
In this composition, the 1st Air Defense Corps (1st PLM, 10th PLM, 42nd ELŁ-T) survived until 1999, when Poland joined NATO and a new aviation structure was organized. In 2000, the 10th PLM became the 10th ELT (Tactical Air Squadron).
Written by Karol Placha Hetman